Sunday, February 15, 2009

"I Kinda Want a Dog"

"I Kinda Want a Dog": My words exactly to Michael after spending the week with my dad's dog, Spot. So you're probably wondering how wanting a dog has anything to do with running....here it is.....

For my last 5 runs I was never alone. Each day Spot was at my side (the left side that is) listening to me and keeping me going. Every run was so much fun all because I had a new running partner, Spot the dog. Don't get me wrong...I would never give up Chanti or Debbie! But man it was a fun week.

For years, every time I have passed someone running with (or even walking) a dog, I would secretly wish I had one of my own; not so they could pull me and do part of the work, but more so I would have a constant companion (hate being alone). I have even tried; Teeny, my mom's Chihuahua, will run a block or so with me but she doesn't actually run, it is more of a stop and go and stop and go to sniff and pee on everything along the route. And really, Teeny is a Chihuahua, how far could should really run before her tiny little heart gave out. But I finally found a dog that would run and could run for a long time....Spot!

The question now...how to I go back to the way it was because really, getting a dog is not probably the best thing for me to do. With all the traveling Michael and I do that poor dog would have to stay with someone else, or by itself, or go to a kennel and I just can't do that. So I guess I will have to dog-sit more often or find a neighborhood dog to borrow. The "Griswald's" across the street do have a yellow lab that does look a little interested ;-)

Spots Running Log:
Sat. 4.5 miles
Tues. 5 miles
Wed. 8 miles
Thurs. 6 miles
Sat. 8 miles

No comments: