Monday, August 24, 2009

Who Knew?

My sister is crazy. She calls me in my "off season" when I have only been running 4's and 6's at a nice comfortable pace and asks if I plan on running with them when I come visit that weekend. Well of course I can't turn her down, but do ask how many miles. She says "oh, just nine" In which I say "WHAT? I haven't run that far in 2 months!" She points out, "Oh, it's not that much further than 6." which is true but their pace is my biggest concern. They run FAST; Well at least faster than me. But I can't say no cause we don't ever get to run together. It's true sister time and I can't pass that up so of course I agree.

She says we have to start at the ungodly hour of 5:50am and we will be meeting her friend that is new to running. Secretly I am thinking she might be a little slower and keep my fingers crossed but wishes are dashed when my sister tells me that her friend has been working on speed and distance with a half marathon coming soon.

So we started out a few minutes late which required us to run faster "just until we meet up with her friend." Well that was a joke, once we met up with her friend the pace just kept up. It turned out that it wasn't so bad since we all took turns telling stories and the time really flew. Before we knew it we were well past eight miles and sister's friend had to peel off to meet up with some others to run a 5K and we had to head home.

In the end we ran 10 miles at a 9 min. mile pace which is awesome for me and despite all of my concerns and complaints it really was a great run. The park trails are flat, with a nice 60 degree temp, and no wind (miracle). I felt great and it was time with my sister that really mattered.

Run On! - Brooke

No comments: