Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Perfect Brunch Item: Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I am such a sucker for a sweet breakfast treat and when I saw this recipe for Blueberry Breakfast Cake you know I had to make it. Since the recipe had blueberries I could justify making it since Greyson is a big fan of blueberries. Of course I found it on Pinterest :)


Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Recipe:
Serves 9
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
1 cup + 1 T. sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1 tbsp vinegar)

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries last.
4. Grease a 8-inch square baking pan or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan (it is very thick). Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. (If you can wait that long)


*Couple of recipe changes....
  • The original recipe called for 7/8 cup sugar, I changed that to a full cup since sugar doesn't scare me. 
  • The recipe also called for kosher salt but it seemed to have then small pieces of salt that didn't dissolve. 
  • I don't normally have buttermilk but love cooking with it and have learned that you can make your own by adding 1 T of vinegar to 1 C milk. 
  • I didn't have an 9 in. square pan so I used my 8 inch pan and it ended up taking 15 minutes longer than I expected but it still turned out nice and moist.

No comments: