Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The story of my Hat Trick (number 3):

Memphis - VERY hilly course on slanted roads - ahhhhhh - Did I say it was hilly and all the roads were slanted....not good on an IT band that is always ready to get annoyed. We should have known.....


1st Half - Ran great 1st half for me with the help of Tralaine (sister), Robert (Carthage friend), and Angie (sisters, sister in law) around 1:58, ran with a lovely stomach cramp from mile 11-15 and my quads started getting tight at mile 14 and it only got worse from there. By mile 16 my feet and some toes were hurting and knees started in very soon after that. This was all followed by my IT band and hips. Told everyone at the end, while trying not to cry, that I felt like I was running on someone else's legs. Never have my legs felt that bad from top to bottom. Hope they never feel like that again.

2nd Half - Never wanted to quit, always knew I would make it, but was not a happy racer. Had to walk through all water stops and between some miles after mile 16. Was by myself for 10 miles until I hooked up with 3 ladies from the St. Louis area who helped me through 1.5 miles and then Angie found me at mile 25. Wow, what a relief that was...to have someone to talk with to get me through the end. We ran in the last mile (without stopping to walk even though we wanted to) and finished in 4:18. Not really excited about that time (same as my Vegas race) but will live with it until the next one. Still looking for my 4:10 and my 3:59:59 but guess that will have to wait.

Thanks for all the well wishes, can't wait for the next chance to hear them again. Anyone wanting to run with me is welcome. Run on....

No comments: