Sunday, April 26, 2009

No Dice in OKC

Well, I had recovered from the hamstring injury enough that I planned to run the half-marathon in OKC with Debbie, Robert, and Scott (and cheer on Don and Chanti when they finished the full) only to find when we arrived at the Runner's Expo that the half-marathon was closed. Fortunately Robert and Scott had pre-registered so they were in but :( Debbie and I had waited until the day before the race to make sure we were healthy (injury free) enough to run and didn't get the chance. For a few short seconds I thought about pirating the race but couldn't imagine not starting the race at the start and not crossing the finish line after so many miles.

So my fate was decided for me and all I could do was show up race day to support my friends. Both Scott and Robert ran the half and Chanti and Don ran the full marathon. Chanti had taken her bike to town so I rode the course with her from mile 9 on and give what help I could.

What a day it was for the racers; the 6am temp was a warm 70 degrees and the wind steadily picked up to more than 30mph. For Scott's first half, he finished thinking he just might run another which is a success in my book. Robert had a strong finish for his first OKC showing. Chanti and Don had tough days with the wind in their faces for a good portion of the race. No PR's but finishing was the big accomplishment.

I do owe a shout out to Don's brother for hosting the after-race BBQ...racers and spectators enjoyed burgers, dogs, and more before heading home.

No racing on this day but good times anyway ;-) Maybe next year. Can't wait for the next race.

Run On! - Brooke

No comments: