Monday, June 6, 2011

Pioneer Woman Cooking - Update 3

Another update - I am on my mission to make some of the Pioneer Woman's recipes from her cookbook (that Michael requested) and some from her website. Here is the running list with the new try in blue:

Mac & Cheese
  1. PW's Potato Skins - time consuming but easy....just not sure what to do with the extra potato I scooped out. We used turkey bacon instead of regular bacon but I think it was probably just (almost) as good.
  2. Hot Artichoke Dip
  3. Cinnamon Rolls (she's famous for these - has even been on many morning shows making them)
  4. Breakfast Burritos
  5. Migas
  6. French Breakfast Puffs
  7. Maple Pecan Scones
  8. MarlboroMan's Favorite Sandwich
  9. Spicy Pulled Pork - This will become a go-to meal for us. What an awesome thing to do with pork but we substituted beef since we have a half a beef in the deep freeze. Dad made it with pork and I have to say it was yummy with beef chuck roast. We made a soft taco bar and served it with tortillas, black beans, sour cream, guacamole, tomato, lettuce and salsa. Sorry no picture.
  10. Macaroni & Cheese  - fairly easy to make and VERY cheesy.We did go a little light on the seasoning since it was really for Greyson. He LOVED it of course.
  11. Beans and Cornbread
  12. Cowboy Calzone
  13. Perfect Pot Roast - Was an easy recipe. We cooked ours in a crock-pot instead of a dutch oven and the only other thing I would do different would be to trim more fat off my Chuck Roast before cooking. Michael and Greyson both LOVED this.
  14. Chicken Pot Pie (Perfect Pie Crust) - First off, her crust is the flakiest crust I have ever seen. I left out one tablespoon of water and could have probably left out 2..it was a bit sticky. I followed the pot pie recipe to the T and it was unbelievable. We will make this one for sure again but maybe not too soon with the cup of whipping cream and 4 tablespoons of butter not to mention the cup and a half of vegetable shortening in the crust.
  15. Meatloaf - Followed the recipe to the T but decided to add onions. I loved the moistness (from bread soaked in milk and 4 eggs) and the bacon on top. Think next time I will blend the recipe we normally use and hers by adding mushrooms, red pepper, and more onions. Michael was not a huge fan but I think with the blending of the two recipes he will be happier.
  16. Cheese Grits - We had these with steaks, cauliflower, and asparagus. Will say...there was a bit too much garlic in it for everyone and will probably leave out one clove next time. Might also add green onions and some bacon as well. FYI - we made a half a batch and it could have fed an army.
  17. Comfort Meatballs
  18. Creamy Rosemary Potatoes
  19. Olive Cheese Bread
  20. Flat Apple Pie
  21. Mocha Brownies
  22. Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce
  23. Sour Cream Noodle Bake (from website) - This is the perfect mix of sour cream, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and noodle of course. Easy recipe for using ground beef. It will be a good recipe for Greyson. Michael's only complaint....not enough meat.Think we will double the amount of ground beef next time.
  24. Sweet Cinnamon Scones - so I didn't follow her recipe to the T but more blended by favorite scone recipe with hers. I prefer to use buttermilk for my liquid along with chilled butter. After multiple test runs my taste testers voted for buttermilk over whipping cream or yogurt. I didn't have any buttermilk in the house but had read that I could make my own with milk and vinegar and it worked perfectly. As suggested by Ree (Pioneer Woman) I did add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar as well as 1 cup Hershey's cinnamon chips. I decided to try mini sized scones this time and I think I will stick with that size from now on. Finally I added her topping of cinnamon and sugar. I mixed it with a little egg yolk and milk, spread it over the uncooked dough, and it cooked up to make the perfect crispy, sweet crust on top.

No comments: