Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pioneer Woman Cooking - Update 4

New tries in blue as usual....wish there were more but haven't been very good at testing new stuff. 

  1. PW's Potato Skins - time consuming but easy....just not sure what to do with the extra potato I scooped out. We used turkey bacon instead of regular bacon but I think it was probably just (almost) as good.
  2. Hot Artichoke Dip
  3. Cinnamon Rolls (she's famous for these - has even been on many morning shows making them)
  4. Breakfast Burritos
  5. Migas
  6. French Breakfast Puffs
  7. Maple Pecan Scones
  8. MarlboroMan's Favorite Sandwich
  9. Spicy Pulled Pork - This will become a go-to meal for us. What an awesome thing to do with pork but we substituted beef since we have a half a beef in the deep freeze. Dad made it with pork and I have to say it was yummy with beef chuck roast. We made a soft taco bar and served it with tortillas, black beans, sour cream, guacamole, tomato, lettuce and salsa. Sorry no picture.
  10. Macaroni & Cheese  - fairly easy to make and VERY cheesy.We did go a little light on the seasoning since it was really for Greyson. He LOVED it of course.
  11. Beans and Cornbread
  12. Cowboy Calzone
  13. Perfect Pot Roast - Was an easy recipe. We cooked ours in a crock-pot instead of a dutch oven and the only other thing I would do different would be to trim more fat off my Chuck Roast before cooking. Michael and Greyson both LOVED this.
  14. Chicken Pot Pie (Perfect Pie Crust) - First off, her crust is the flakiest crust I have ever seen. I left out one tablespoon of water and could have probably left out 2..it was a bit sticky. I followed the pot pie recipe to the T and it was unbelievable. We will make this one for sure again but maybe not too soon with the cup of whipping cream and 4 tablespoons of butter not to mention the cup and a half of vegetable shortening in the crust.
  15. Meatloaf - Followed the recipe to the T but decided to add onions. I loved the moistness (from bread soaked in milk and 4 eggs) and the bacon on top. Think next time I will blend the recipe we normally use and hers by adding mushrooms, red pepper, and more onions. Michael was not a huge fan but I think with the blending of the two recipes he will be happier.
  16. Cheese Grits - We had these with steaks, cauliflower, and asparagus. Will say...there was a bit too much garlic in it for everyone and will probably leave out one clove next time. Might also add green onions and some bacon as well. FYI - we made a half a batch and it could have fed an army.
  17. Comfort Meatballs
  18. Creamy Rosemary Potatoes
  19. Taco Pizza -
  20. Olive Cheese Bread
  21. Flat Apple Pie
  22. Mocha Brownies
  23. Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce
  24. Sour Cream Noodle Bake (from website) - This is the perfect mix of sour cream, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and noodle of course. Easy recipe for using ground beef. It will be a good recipe for Greyson. Michael's only complaint....not enough meat.Think we will double the amount of ground beef next time.
  25. Sweet Cinnamon Scones - so I didn't follow her recipe to the T but more blended by favorite scone recipe with hers. I prefer to use buttermilk for my liquid along with chilled butter. After multiple test runs my taste testers voted for buttermilk over whipping cream or yogurt. I didn't have any buttermilk in the house but had read that I could make my own with milk and vinegar and it worked perfectly. As suggested by Ree (Pioneer Woman) I did add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar as well as 1 cup Hershey's cinnamon chips. I decided to try mini sized scones this time and I think I will stick with that size from now on. Finally I added her topping of cinnamon and sugar. I mixed it with a little egg yolk and milk, spread it over the uncooked dough, and it cooked up to make the perfect crispy, sweet crust on top. 
  26. Spaghetti & Meatballs - Well....the Meatballs but not her sauce :) - did substitute the ground pork for Italian Sausage and grilled the meatballs in our new meatball grill basket from William-Sonoma. The recipe has the perfect amount of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, herbs and more. A definite do-again. The meatballs were fantastic and I can't wait to make a meatball sandwich with tons of sauce and mozzarella cheese.
 

No comments: