Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Why Wednesday - Injury

WHY do injuries happen when you have the most events in the near future?

Seems that this nagging pain in my leg (middle of inside shin) is not going to go away. Less miles, rest, and icing have done nothing. Through conversations with Chanti, Don, and Tralaine (my running "team) what I have decided to do is talk my doctor into ordering an xray to rule out stress fracture.

The pain does not seem to be associated with any muscle movements...it hurts when I step down hard, when I toe-off, when I get up from sitting on the floor, and when I apply hard pressure to the site. It hurts the worst during the first couple of miles of a run and then it is bearable unless having to go downhill. The day after a longer run (6 miles or more) I seem to pay for it the most and it hurts with every step for most of the day.

From Don's research, if this isn't a stress fracture, he thinks is might be some sort of shin splint where my muscle is trying to seperate from the bone. Either way....I think it is going to take longer rest and much icing (not the kind you eat) and maybe starting back with shorter mileage.

With an adventure race, marathon, and possibly an ultra (think I have the sister talked into one) all in the next 9 months, I am very discouraged. I still hold out hope that it will just disappear or be resolved quickly.

Run On! (with your fingers crossed for me please)
Brooke

1 comment:

Chanti said...

:-(

I'm going to need you to heal quickly so that you're ready to run when I can again. ;-)