Friday, January 27, 2012

Brookies...aka Blondes

So I found this recipe for "Brookies" on Pinterest (of course). I thought it was cute that they called what I would normally call Blondies Brookies instead. Who wouldn't want to make a dessert named after them so of course I did and my teachers benefited...and with my small addiction to cookie dough how could I resist.

The author of the recipe at bakerella.com described them as cookies with the shape and texture of a brownie and she called them official Congo Bars. I have to say that mine didn't turn out as hers sounded and appeared but they were still pretty good. Next time I make them I will be adding more vanilla, a bit more salt, a few less pecans, and will use extra large eggs instead of just large.


Brooke's Brookies (with my changes)
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 lb. light brown sugar
3 extra large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
12 ounce package chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet think milk might be better)
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
Combine butter and sugar using a mixer until blended.
Add eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture, mixing on low in between each addition.
Add vanilla and mix.
Add flour and mix until combined.
Stir in chips and then pecans.
Coat a 13 X 9 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. 

No comments: