Sunday, January 29, 2012

Injury: was not on my B2B training schedule

It's been a while since I have posted anything here...in fact it has been since I committed to running the Brew-2-Brew run as a solo with my sis. About a week ago I fessed up to Chanti that I hadn't been posting anything because I didn't want to jinx myself. Running 44 miles is a HUGE undertaking (that many call crazy) and not that I am one that believes in psychics or anything like that...but I really didn't want to post something one day like "had a great 22 miler today" and then have to post the next day that "have an injury and can't run for a week".

The biggest thing I was really concerned about when committing to an Ultra was injury and now it's here. The training miles are intimidating and the 44 miles in one day is really hard to believe but I knew I could do all of those things. The one thing I didn't feel like I had any control over was random, overuse injuries.

The issue...I am having a problem with my left calf (in the front where my shin and calf muscle meet up high). A feeling very close to what I had happen in August. But the difference here than then, in August I wasn't training for anything and I took 2 weeks off and then came back slowly (1 mile at a time) until I was back to normal. I really don't have time to take off in this B2B training schedule. I REALLY want to make it to race day so I know I need to get better. I wish I could run through it and run right out from under it. I dream that one morning I will wake up and it will feel like nothing was ever wrong. But alas, that has not happened.

So what have I done...I skipped by 10 miler the day after my 22 miler last weekend. I waited a day and iced and then ran an easy 4 only to find that it wasn't ok. What's crazy is that my calf doesn't really hurt when I am running but after is when it hits even after stretching, massaging, and icing. Robert (CRC Chiropractor aka Dr. Bob) has been working on it with ultrasound and Spidertech tape and we thought we had it taken care of but we figured out we were wrong after my 10 miler yesterday.

The new plan...it's back to rest (no running), icing, ibuprofen, and will try some pool running and swimming this week. Dr. Bob is out of town as am I so no ultrasound until Thursday night. Maybe some more spider tape as well.

Also, get eraser out and do some work on the training schedule. I still have time if I can get this issue under control. MUST GET BACK ON TRACK for B2B. The sister is counting on me :)

Run on!...while I try to rehab.
Brooke

No comments: