Friday, January 20, 2012

Candy Making - Pecan Pralines

I had some time at home today since our trip to KC for Greyson's check-up was canceled...thank you Croup. :( During nap #1 I tested out a recipe I found in my December (I think) Southern Living for Pecan Pralines. The recipe called for whipping cream and I had enough to make half the recipe. Figured I needed to get it out of the fridge so I won't be tempted to continue using it instead of skim milk in my morning coffee.

Praline Pecans
I have made a similar Southern Living recipe in the past (Praline Pecans) and they were THE BOMB, so I was almost positive these were going to be guaranteed yummy and man was I soooo right.

While the Praline Pecans are sugary coated crunchy goodness, the Pecan Pralines are chewy rich caramel bites with vanilla (used my new Vanilla Bean Paste from William Sonoma) and toasted pecans. The picture makes them look a little crispy sugary candies but mine turned out more shiny and chewy (think I should have stirred them a bit longer). The recipe was easy to follow with just a few ingredients and took less than an hour to make and clean up. They look very professional and would make a great gift during the holidays wrapped in parchment paper and placed in a festive box.

The Recipe...

Pecan Pralines
2 cups pecan halves and pieces
3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract (vanilla bean paste works wonderfully)
Wax paper

1. Toast pecans in the oven at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until toasted. 
Stir halfway. Cool completely.


2. Bring brown sugar, whipping cream, butter, and corn syrup to a boil and let continue to boil for 6-8 minutes when it reaches 236 degrees (soft ball stage). Remove from heat and allow it to cool to 150 degrees, stirring occasionally. 

My New Favorite Ingredient

 3. Quickly mix in vanilla and pecans with wooden spoon. Continue stirring until it begins to lose its gloss. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let stand for 10-15 minutes until firm. Enjoy!

My Pecan Pralines

 
*Praline Pecan image from Southern Living and the rest from my new camera.

No comments: