Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Crafts

Why do I do this to myself? Another Christmas and I have taken on another set of crafty gifts to make.

The biggest and most time consuming would have to be the cookbook. I started it in August after learning how to do digital scrapbooking with Photoshop and finished it up at the end of October. Then I had to wait until Shutterfly decided they wanted to put their photo books on sale and ordered a couple books to see how they turned out. Little did I realize that the cover would be messed up. With part of the title and credits cut out I had to do some creative tweaking along with a little trial and error to get the cover to line up as it is supposed to. If you are making photo books with your own pages I would suggest going with one of their layouts for the cover. But I can't complain, they are completed and wrapped and I ended up getting free shipping on all of it and paid half price for 9 out of the 11 books. Figured out it really pays to plan ahead with that kind of project.

To accompany the cook books, some relatives will be getting an apron. I got the idea from one of the teachers I work with and decided I could "throw together" some quick aprons. I have gotten as far as cutting out the pattern (not the fabric) and selecting all the fabric and thread but was so tired yesterday (thank you little baby Higgins) that I couldn't seem to pull myself off the couch to start cutting and sewing. Hopefully I can begin tonight and plan to get one done a night. Fingers crossed.

Another photo project I am working on would be a calendar for my Aunt Diane. I gave her one a year or so ago and she loved it so much she requested another. Biggest problem being that I haven't seen that side of the family for more than a year and only one relative was willing to send me some pictures. Still hoping to get a few more from my mom but we will see. It may turn out to be a set of pictures from past years and not just the past year. FYI - Snapfish is running a buy one calendar get the second for free until the 17th of Dec. I better get moving.

And finally, I made 23 handmade cards and included a great picture of Michael and I for those friends that we no longer buy presents for. I usually like to have a Christmas letter but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe next week but it may turn into a New Year's letter.

So that brings me to my todo list. I still need to make 2 Cheesecakes for the Hicklin's and Oexman's. Cook and decorate my sugar cookies. Package up the food gifts for neighbors and Chet and Charlie (peppermint bark, pralined pecans, pretzel turtles, pecan balls, and sugar cookies). And finish sewing 5 aprons.

Here's to a handmade Christmas. Not sure it will be possible next year with a little one so hope they all enjoy it this year. Hoping you all have a wonderful Holiday Season and wish me luck.
B

No comments: