Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm Back...hopefully

I took 2 weeks off and waited for the knee pain to go away and have gotten back on the road again 4 times this week. I am starting slow and still doing walk/runs, which are turning more into run/walks with more running and less walking. Never did I think that recovery from having a baby (C-Section) was going to take so long and be so depressing. Who knew that my first runs out would cause me so much knee pain that I wouldn't be able to go down a flight of stairs or a hill without wincing.

That is all behind me now....now Greyson and I are finally figuring out how to fit our schedules together to work in his feedings and my running. I have gone out 2 early mornings in a row with Michael listening for the little guy and 2 other days. G has gone with me once this week and of course fell right to sleep. Man he loves that stroller, maybe more than I do, but I am wondering if I should hold off on pushing the stroller until my muscles around my knees are better developed. I really wonder if I torqued them with the turns since the front wheel of the stroller is stable and it took a lot of pulling against it and leaning to get around corners.

Since I think this all might be muscle issues I have started doing some plyometrics mixed in with my walk and run times. I am sure the people of the neighborhood think I am a nut case but right now it is anything to get me back to running and back to my CRC friends. Walking lunges, grapevines, squats, and walking backwards probably look really funny with a stroller but if they work then i will do them. It is not hard to tell that after 7 months of no running I AM OUT OF SHAPE - but give me some time and I will be back. Better be since I have an adventure race and 1/2 marathon in the near future I have "commited" to.

Last, have to give a shout out to my friend Chanti, Back To Running, for offering to run/walk with me this morning bright and early. She ran to my house, run/walked with me (only walked 6 blocks total), and then headed home. She got in an hour and I got in 30 minutes. Soon I will be right back with her. Support from friends is essential and I know it - just like she does. I will be the runner I was before and who knows, maybe even better than before. You know it's possible; Paula Radcliffe won the NYC Marathon just 10 months after having her first child.

Run On,
Brooke

No comments: