Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Why Wednesday - Creatures of Habit

WHY do I seem to always run the same routes? Like a mouse in a maze, I run mindlessly, turning on the same roads depending on the mileage for the day dashing for my "cheese" (the finish). I'm always saying "enjoy the journey" but I think I'm missing out on some of the journey seeing the same things day after day.

We live in a small town and I find that I always run from my house (which is soooo awesome and I owe the CRC a big thanks for running from here) seeming to be a creature of habit choosing to run the same roads day after day. It's not so bad until you start training for longer races and then you find yourself circling town multiple times. Maybe a new view might help the runs pass a bit quicker.

So today I made a new rule for the 8 miler....no retracing my steps and running the same road twice with one exception; the block that I live on. It was fun, mentally mapping out my run trying to make sure to always choose new roads all the while trying to estimate mileage and then finding additional roads when I ended up .80 of a mile short. In the end, I actually finished 8.2 miles at 9:30's sprinting the last 1/4 of a mile just because I could. :)

Run On! And discover a new route or two this week...
Brooke

1 comment:

Chanti said...

I think this sounds like a good thing for me - I can't wait to see the route you choose for us tomorrow. Looking forward to new scenery! :-)